Q&A with Sapna Bhog
Hey Devika, Thanks for having me. I hope you enjoy reading the book too and I look forward to your Q&A. Bring it on!
1) What do you like most and least about being an author?
I love dreaming up new characters in imaginary worlds and writing their stories. But each book takes so much time to complete and I wish I could download the ideas in my head directly onto the laptop. Wouldn’t that be so cool? I’d get so much more work done and so much faster too.
2) Do you prefer a specific genre for reading and writing?
I enjoy reading romances (all subgenres - contemporary/historical/supernatural/romcom/suspense). As long as it’s a romance I can read it.
I like to write contemporary romances with a hint of suspense in them and yes I like to write books set in the regency era as well.
3) I’ve noticed that this is your first interracial romance. What inspired it?
I’m a huge fan of historical romances and the best ones are those that have a Duke in it. There’s just something about those Dukes, don’t you think?
So, I thought why not write about a modern day Duke in love with an Indian girl. I’ve never read that before, so I decided to write it.
4) In your opinion, is there something that characterizes Indian writing/literature?
Yes, well most Indian literature nowadays is based on mythology. I guess a lot of people read that and hence it is so popular.
Romance was at the end of the reading spectrum for a long time and I’m happy to see more and more women coming forward and reading romances written by Indian writers and there are so many good writers out there.
5) Would you say that covers are important when it comes to the success of books?
Most definitely! Covers play a very important part of the success of a book. I’ve been a reader far longer than I’ve been a writer and till date I will pick up a book only if the cover attracts me. It’s like visual marketing for a book.
6) If you had to describe your writing style in five words, what would you choose?
Eloquent, crisp, fluent, picturesque and stylistic, I would say.
7) When did you become an indie author, and what prompted your decision?
I recently became an Indie author after parting with my publisher and re-publishing my first three novels. I think self-publishing gives me a freer hand and control over my craft.
8) Is there a question you have always hoped somebody would ask you? (Feel free to answer it, too.)
Why do you write? (No one has asked me that – can you believe it?)
My answer would be because it gives me truckloads of happiness.
9) A look at your books tells me you often write series. What do you like about that?
Oh! I love creating worlds and building characters in those worlds. If my work resonates with readers then they look forward to more books from that world which is very exciting for me as a writer.
10) Congratulations on your latest release, Beneath the Lies! What made you choose London/England as the setting?
I wanted to write about a Duke so London/England was the perfect setting for that.
About the Book
How would you feel when the man you have known and loved for the last five years is not who he said he was? That everything he ever told you was all a lie.
An accident changed our lives forever and now I have to bring him back to us because he doesn’t remember our life, our family or us. One minute, I was just a regular girl from India married to a man she loved, and the next, my life has changed completely because I’m married to an English Duke, who doesn’t remember me.
My name is Aaliya Singh Talbot and I will do whatever it takes to bring my husband back from the darkness and into the light.
I will make him remember no matter what I have to do!
I will make him remember everything - beneath all the lies!
About the Author